Friday, January 16, 2009

VIETNAMESE STIR FRY

Vietnamese food has never been something I wanted to learn how to cook. And, stir-fry, even though it fills me up for the moment, never seems substantial enough to quell my appetite for very long. But after becoming acquainted with a Vietnamese cook and eating a dish she prepared for me, one I can't even begin to pronounce, I am excited about sharing it with you. This is a satiating meal .................the whole family will enjoy, especially if it's accompanied by a couple of egg rolls.

When served this meal for the first time, I eye-balled the large Wok with trepidation. How could this pot full of rabbit food, with not one tidbit of meat to be seen, feed the five people who were seated around the table? How could one feel full without any meat? Or biscuits and gravy? Can you tell I'm a southern country gal used to meat and potatoes at every meal?

My Bigmother always taught me that "good manners" required I eat whatever the hostess prepared and convince her that I enjoyed it! And even though I felt this was going to take monumental acting skills , I dug in with the gusto of a "hound dog", and before the meal was over, had eaten my fair share of this delicious fare. This is probably the best "stir-fry" I have ever had and I make it regularly. It takes more "prep" time than it does
the 4 or 5 minutes needed to "cook" it and is the perfect meal for the hot, dog-days of summer we experience here in Florida. As I stated before, I can't begin to pronounce it's name so I just call it..........

VIETNAMESE STIR-FRY

Clean and cut, "julieanne-style", 1 cup carrots
Clean and cut crosswise into little rounds, 1 pkg. green onions ( bulbs & blades)
Clean and chop finely, 1 head Napa cabbage

Cook in half water and half chicken broth: 1 pkg. angel hair pasta, al dente ( drop pasta into rapidly
boiling water-broth liquid for 3-4 minutes) Immediately drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking action. Drain again and set aside.

In a Wok, or large skillet, heat to very hot, 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil ( reg veg oil may be used but I think the sesame oil gives it a unique flavor)
Add: carrots and toss, cooking for 1 minute
Add: green onnions and cook, tossing continuously, for 1 minute
Add: Napa cabbage and cook for another minute
Add: cooked, drained, pasta
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
and cook, tossing, until just heated all the way through and serve.

* NOTE:
If you feel this is not a substantial enough meal, lay 1-2 eggs rolls on the side of each plate before serving.

No comments: