Friday, September 4, 2009

V-6 juice

Nothing tastes as good as homemade tomato juice and this V-6 juice is one that I make every year. I use it in soup and chili. but mostly I keep a quart of it in my refrigerator to drink for breakfast or any time I want a glass of fresh tasting juice.

V-6 JUICE

22 lbs tomatoes
3/4 cup celery
" " Peppers, green
" " carrots
1/4 cup Parsley
1/2 cup onion
I put my jars and lids and rings in my canner and bring them to a boil to sterilize while i'm preparing my vegs for the juice.

V-6 JUICE

22 lbs tomatoes
3/4 cup celery
" " Peppers, green
" " carrots
1/4 cup Parsley
1/2 cup onion
I put my jars and lids and rings in my canner and bring them to a boil to steralize while i'm preparing all the vegetables for the juice.

Put tomatoes ( I peel them by dipping them first in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then in ice water to slip the skins right off)
and other vegetables into a large stock pot and bring to a boil, simmer until all are soft and then strain through a china cap.

Dip jars out of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon canning salt to quarts, 1/2 teaspoon canning salt to pints. Bring juice back to a boil and fill jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Set seals and screw rings on tight.

Process for 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Remove from canner and let cool.Then listen for them to seal as they cool off.

One of my fondest memories of living with my grandparents was laying in bed and listening to all the jars seal that we had put up that day. Bon Appetit` from The Ocassioanl Cook

No comments: